Monday, January 14, 2013

Clean Freak

I love cleaning. I get great satisfaction from disinfecting commonly touched surfaces, scrubbing dishes, and mopping floors. However, even I thought Grace’s comment was slightly ridiculous:
“Oh, for God’s sake don’t kill her in the room. I said, you will make the floor all bloody.”
Initially, I was shocked when I read this statement. Of course, as a servant in the Kinnear household, Grace would not want to see a mess made. However, as James McDermott plots to kill Nancy and Kinnear, her only thought is on preserving the floors. Grace has had a tough life filled with struggle and the loss of loved ones, but I would never think of her being so heartless.
She justifies her statement by saying that since cleaning the floors was one of her routine tasks, she did not want to see blood ruin the carpets. But I doubt Grace was naive enough to think that she would have to scrub the carpets free from evidence or else be punished by her employer (in fact, it was his blood that was spilled).
I don’t know whether this came out of the confusion of the moment or Grace’s shock surrounding the situation, but it made her character seem heartless.

No comments:

Post a Comment