Monday, January 14, 2013

First Post!

First post! Hooray!
I wanted to make sure that this blog is not necessarily text-heavy (although that’s the assignment! Oops!) so I made my way over to Google Images to see what the Internet has to offer for ‘Alias Grace’. There were many images of the various novel covers and even some head shots of Margaret Atwood, but I found this one to be the most interesting. I have always loved looking at fan art and this is no exception! Some people disagree, but I like to have a little help forming a picture of book characters in my head as I begin to read. This image of Grace Marks will stick with me as I take on this novel.
I like the artist’s use of the worn parchment paper and the small, delicate handwriting over Grace. The words could symbolize her internal confession and the secret history that she holds. Plus, the obvious blood splatters above her act could mean the sentence hanging over her, looming for the rest of her life.
I’m glad I found this image!
Although I have never read any other works by Margaret Atwood, I am excited to begin “Alias Grace”.  I have heard many great things about the novel and that it can be analyzed through different scopes of literature.  This historical piece sheds light on the circumstances of a developing nation as well as the cultural perceptions of women and women criminals.


No comments:

Post a Comment