Monday, January 14, 2013

Trust

As I read “Alias Grace”, I am struggling to trust Dr. Jordan. I want to trust him and I want to know in my heart that his intentions with Grace are good. As they meet for their conversations, I desire for a bond to form between the two. After reading about all of the suffering and loss that Grace experienced so early in life, I have become attached to her character and currently, I am hoping for her innocence and her absolution. One quote that provided me with the most hope:
“In the courtrooms, every word that came out of my mouth was as if burnt into the paper they were writing it on, and once I said a thing I knew I could never get the words back; only they were the wrong words, because whatever I said I would be twisted around, even if it was the plain truth in the first place. And it was the same with Dr. Bannerling at the Asylum. But now I feel as if everything I say is right. As long as I say something, anything at all, Dr. Jordan smiles and writes it down, and tells me I am doing well.
While he writes, I feel as if he is drawing me; or not drawing me, drawing on me- drawing on my skin- not with the pencil he is using, but with an old-fashioned goose pen, and not with the quill end but the feather end. As if hundreds of butterflies have settled all over my face, and are softly opening and closing their wings.”
Wow.
Dr. Jordan gives Grace something she has been denied since she was convicted; humanity. He listens to her on a more personal level than any of the others she has encountered since Mary Whitney. Despite my wishes, I am predicting that Dr. Jordan will not always remain so understand and loyal to Grace. As a scientist, he wants results to be produced from the time and effort that he is putting into the case. I only hope that the tragedy in Grace’s life does not continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment